Lets talk lenses, next purchase coming this week!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,314Gear list
Like?
Lets talk lenses, next purchase coming this week!
7 months ago

So i have decided to put off my tele purchase till i know more what i want, and perhaps when there is more selection (was looking at the 100-300). I currently have the 20mm F1.7 on a GX7. I will for sure be picking up the 14-42 kit for a stabilized standard for video and it's good enough at 14 stopped down to serve as my landscape for now. This leaves two issues to be addressed: macro and portraits.

I prefer my portrait distance to be no longer than 120mm equiv, so the Oly 75mm is out of the question, and frankly a bit too much for one len$ for me. I know my personal style of portraits may be a bit closer than some but i tend to shoot a lot of indoor family stuff, not gymnasium portraits. Im mainly wondering if anybody has insight to compare the Pany/Oly 25mm options. I have taken many portrait style shots with my 20mm and im fine with the FOV, so 25mm will be fine too.

It really comes down to either one of the 25mm options or the Oly 45 F1.8. According to the only resolution comparison available, SLRgear, the two 25mm lenses are very similar, but with the Pany being sharper in the F2.8-F8 area. Both are nearly identical at F2 or faster, which is really what im focused on. Is this the experience of any owners here? The Oly is a chunk cheaper, both seem to focus fast, another benefit over my 20mm. Any thoughts comparing the two?

Once i have a grasp of which 25mm is the better performer (at least to my needs), if there is one, i can decide between it and the Oly 45mm. I will also be getting macro tubes to use with whatever lens i end up buying, since they are all very sharp stopped down that won't be of issue, although i know the 45mm will be a more useful FL. Any thoughts are welcome here, i will be ordering this thursday so im doing the final bits of research here. Feel free to speak your mind.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow