XT1 - Truly Superior IQ

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,881Gear list
Like?
THIS is what started this whole thread????!!!!????
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 5 months ago

There are reasonable assertions around the edges of the gods of "IMAGE QUALITY" on which reasonable people can disagree. Perhaps the XT1 is marginally better in low light, maybe some people just prefer the various tradeoffs Fuji makes with their X-trans files. Almost ANYONE would agree that Fuji's jpegs are among the best there are the Panasonic jpegs are among the worst, but the raw files are a different story.

But a couple of slightly blurry photos cause you to assert without qualification that the XT1 has "Truly Superior IQ"???!!!! Really?

What lenses did you use? Are they raw or jpegs? If jpegs, what settings? If raw, how did you process them?

But really, the first question is probably the biggest part of it. If you're just using kit zoom lenses, the Fuji 18-55 is probably as good a kit lens as you'll find. The Panasonic 14-42 (and 12-32 collapsable) are just run of the mill crummy kit lenses.

Use decent lenses and SHARPNESS and crispness and detail are NOT issues with the GX7 or any current m43 camera (or just about any smaller sensor compact for that matter).

Here are a few GX7 shots, one from the set I posted above. You can say what you want about the quality of the shots, you might find noise in the skies, whatever - in some cases I actually accentuate the noise with my processing. But if you're not getting the sharpest photos, it's not because one camera has TRULY SUPERIOR IQ! It may be the lens, it may be user error, it may be you got a bad GX7.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow