ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eaa
eaa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,843Gear list
Like?
E-M1 - dismal battery capacity in the cold
6 months ago

I must say I'm disappointed about the BLN-1 batteries in the E-M1. The cam is stated cold proof down to -10ºC, but I guess that doesn't help much when the batteries don't cope. This weekend we made a ski crossing of a wolf territory in the SE part of Norway, spending one night outdoors. The spring weather was magnificent, w/ up to +12ºC during daytime, and mild nights, hovering around -2º to -5ºC. IOW not cold at all. We spent the night in an open tarp shelter only, and the camera gear was tucked away in their F-Stop rucksacks.

Into the morning, when the temp was already +5ºC, I opted to take a pic of the camp. The camera just alerted me w/ a "Battery empty" warning. As I had started out w/ 4 fully charged batteries the day before, an had taken maybe 15 pics up till then, I was quite baffled. I swapped it w/ another unused battery - again "Battery empty"! So I had to warm the batteries beside the bonfire to get the camera working. From then on I could squeeze some 40 pics out of them, from fully charged. And that being consistently careful w/ power use - no chimping, swift shooting, and camera off between every shoot.

So, being chilled to just a couple of degrees below zero, the batteries are dead. And from fully charged they just yield ca. 40 pics pr. battery, w/ an almost extremely stingy use of power. That is just not acceptable for a pro cam. Oly has to do something w/ their battery tech. There's little gain in a lightweight cam when you must pull a sledge full of batteries to make it work ... :/

-- hide signature --
 eaa's gear list:eaa's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow