I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
pocketpygmy
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
Re: I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.
In reply to millardmt, 9 months ago

yeah; no; seriously -- we all like someone with an actual opinion, and we all probably need 'institutional care', and we don't not think you belong here (i sure as hell don't 'belong' but apparently that isn't stopping me), but:

how is what you're describing ($6000+ pricetag included/especially) much different from what the masters of craftsman cameras -- Leica -- have been offering for decades?

(i guess i'm rather naively assuming that if one is going past $2-3000 per compact system, they might as well be all in and $6000 becomes indistinguishable from $16,000.)

i saw a film recently in which a camera figured rather prominently in a scene, and only just barely survived keeping the illusionistic coherence intact. that is, if it had been anything other than a Leica (i imagined in its place my own camera, that paragon of retro-digital design, the OM-D E-EM5 with 12mm f2 -- and shuddered), the scene (IMHO) might have been ruined; it would not have made sense, it wouldn't have felt real, things would have felt off, out of place. i'm not saying i know for sure what, precisely, that means, but i do think -- and call me materialist or animistic if you really care to -- that objects and their placement in the world can have a profound, subconscious effect on the way that we see the world, and carry on, and define ourselves.

i know that sounds dramatic, but how can any of us deny that there is something mystic about 'taking pictures' or 'making images'? and then how far of a leap is it to play with the words and meanings beyond the photos and the gear and consider what they mean in the actions and presences entailed with photography?

maybe i'll shut up now? but i do think y'all'd have a hoot reading susan sontag's 'on photography' if you haven't already... i'm slowly working through it right now -- it's really, pretty profound stuff.

pocketpygmy's gear list:pocketpygmy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
35SNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow