Minolta 50s and the A7

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael J Hoffman
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
Re: your photos sure isn't impressing :)
In reply to kenetik, 5 months ago

kenetik wrote:

kuuan wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

I've had a dozen of different old ~50mm lenses, including several Minoltas. They are cheap and widely available, so it doesn't take much to build a big collection. Some samples are here . I got rid of most of them, still have Minolta 50/1.7 and 45/2 -- they are too cheap to bother selling them, and keeping Canon FD 50/1.4 for sentimental value, and it's probably the best of any other old 50mm lens. Still, the Sony 50/1.8 was noticeably better than any of those. Here is a comparison with Rokkor 50/1.4

I also tried some of them on A7 and thought they were better on FF, still too soft wide open, bad corners, too severe halation and CA -- they were actually worse on FF than SEL 50/1.8 on a NEX.

because I don't have the Sony I can't and won't argue if the Sony is better than legacy 50mm lenses, but one thing I can say for certain: your sample shown taken with the Rokkor is not representative of a legacy 50mm at all!

It either had been taken with a faulty lens or simply had been very badly taken. None of my 40+ legacy normal lenses would look that bad @f2. Unfortunately I don't have the Rokkor-X 1.4/50, which I also have, with my right now, but e.g. a 50% crop of a fast and dirty take I just did with a S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50 @f2 on NEX5N:

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Ricoh GXR M, Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

Yeah, in the $20 test, the focus looks off on the second bill. I like yours better anyway, Franklin beats Hamilton anyday :).

Ummm...that's Jackson on the $20.  Yeah.

Michael

-- hide signature --

'One must always take photos with the greatest respect for the subject and for oneself.' Henri Cartier-Bresson

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow