Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?
Re: A great marketing line - but believe it all?
In reply to ultimitsu, 9 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

I think part of the problem is that in general sensors have come to a place that most people can't tell the difference APC to APC and FF to FF.. and one needs more than a Brand name to sell a camera.. Sell me a 5DMKIII vs a Sony A99 just based on features..

5DMKIII no 60P video, no ability to tilt the screen.. lower res.. lower DXO sensor scores. higher price

You are left with

• Its a Canon
  • Canon has more lenses
  • It has the same OVF technology cameras have had for decades (that is disabled when shooting live from the sensor both still and video
  • and it has a half stop better high ISO noise performance

Its a defensive list.. if an established brand vs an technology aggressive company taking some good risks.. I mean really $3000 for a camera model line that doesn't do 60P video and has no ability to articulate the back LCD to help in shooting creative angles.

Its a Canon sells a ton of cameras.. it doesn't move the technology forward.

You cannot be more wrong. People who buy 5D3/A99 care very little about 60P, they care a lot more about things like lens and accessory support. 90% of them are either working pros or serious still photography hobbyists. I know no less than ten 5D3 owners, they all fit in either of the above categories. A99 cannot compete against 5D3 for both of these groups.

For working pros, they want great lens selection and accessory selection. Firstly Canon has stable work horse lenses, 24-70I, II, 70-200 I, II, non-ISO, F4IS, 16-35, 50L, 24L, 85L, 100L; Sony simply cannot compete against this complete line. Secondly, working pros generally operate on thin budget, they buy and sell second hand lenses a lot. Canon has a very large second hand market for them to trade in, Sony A mount's pro lens market is much smaller. If you wanted a 70-200/2.8 for example, you are more likely have to buy it brand new and take a heavy loss when you sell, with canon you can quickly buy a secondhand at almost any city. Thirdly, working pros often work with other pros, and they tend to share and provide back up gear to each other. Chance of your colleague also use Canon gear is about 50%, chance of your colleague use Sony gear is about 1%.

For hobbyists, again, frequent gear trading is part of the game, Canon has a much wider selection of lenses that hobbyists can play with. And secondly, hobbyists value reviews, comparisons, and cost performance ratio. Canon lenses simply offer more for less money. IF you were a BIF hobbyist, what sony equivalent would you use in place of Canon 300/4L, 400/5.6L?

Minolta 300 f 2.8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-AF-APO-Tele-High-Speed-300mm-f-2-8-300-F2-8-for-Sony-from-Japan-N-MINT-/191115503012?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2c7f5f25a4

Minolta 300 f4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Konica-Minolta-Dynax-300-mm-F-4-0-AF-APO-G-AS-Lens-For-Minolta-Sony-98-/281298744295?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item417eb633e7

Minolta 400 4.5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-Sony-AF-400mm-F-4-5-High-Speed-HS-APO-G-Lens-/161254237928?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item258b8066e8

Minolta 100-400

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-AF-APO-TELE-100-400-mm-F-4-5-6-7-Lens-For-Minolta-Sony-Alpha-/231178848853?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35d3554a55

or you can buy the Sony versions

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow