Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mjh04
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
I am impressed with sharpness of 35 1.4
5 months ago

My grand niece celebrated her 4th birthday this afternoon and I thought it would be a great opportunity to try my 35mm 1.4 lens on the X-T1.  To this point, I have taken almost no photographs of people with the Fuji.  I turned on the facial recognition, set the film simulation to std., shot in single shot mode and set the priority to focus before releasing the shutter.  The lens did seem to hunt around and was not as snappy as I would have liked for all the movement of a 4 year old, but I just kept shooting, not always waiting for the focus to lock before depressing the shutter button completely.   I probably got 70% of the shots in focus.  More than I was really expecting, based on how the lens seemed to hunt.  I am sure that some of the focus issues resulted from trying to capture an energetic 4 year old with a 1.4 setting.

I must admit that I was surprised just how sharp many of these looked and the colors really had that pop that I expected when I purchased the Fuji.  Most of these images have no adjustments at all other than a little cropping, vignette around the edges and removal of a few cookie crumbs from the face of my grand niece.

The more I use this camera, the closer I come to thinking I don't need to keep that full frame system.  Even though this lens seems to be very sharp, I had to get pretty close and wonder if the 56 may be in my future, especially if it is a bit sharper and faster than the 35.  Let me know what you think.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

mjh04's gear list:mjh04's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow