70D Multiple exposures

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,632Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D Multiple exposures (AEB)
In reply to lec log, 5 months ago

lec log wrote:

Hope my little excursion (more like folly) can help someone out.

Once again TTMartin thanks for hanging in there and helping me stay on task.

I'm buying large capacity San Disk Extreme cards to be able always shoot Raw.

I use to be a 4x5(etc,) film photographer and had the best drum scanned until about ten years ago.

I'm trying to plan ahead for next step in DSLR, I think the 70D may just be my training wheels.

It's to bad it still has the "High Pass" Filter, I missed that on my research.

logan

When Nikon removed the AA filter from the D7100 it made very little difference. No AA filter is more about sales hype than actual image quality.

DPReview - D7100 OLPF filter omission

When Nikon's reps briefed us on the D7100, they were keen to stress that this 'flagship APS-C DSLR' did away with an optical low pass filter (OLPF); a move we've seen Pentax make with the 16MP K-5 IIs, but a first for Nikon. We were of course curious to discover what potential advantages or disadvantages this offered, however, in a 24MP APS-C sensor.

In principle, removing the image-softening OLPF will result in greater resolution, albeit with a potential increase in intensity of moiré patterning. To investigate this we chose to compare the D7100 with Nikon's D5200, which also has a 24MP APS-C sensor but includes an OLPF. Based on our experience with a similar OLPF-effect comparison we conducted in our earlier Nikon D800/800E review, we suspected that to see any differences would require top-quality optics and we would need to pay very careful attention to camera settings. This was borne out in our testing.

. . .

In short, even if you were willing to put the best glass available on the D7100 and shoot at a wide aperture, you're not likely, even with a lot of effort, to leverage visible benefits of the OLPF removal. While this may be a bit of a disappointment for some, the very good news is that to date we've seen no practical downside to the filter's removal for still photography. It is essentially neutral with regard to image quality.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow