NEX-6 - Will the LCD delaminate like a 5N?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,666
Like?
No, it won't
In reply to Sleepdance, 5 months ago

Sleepdance wrote:

I've owned the NEX-3 and 5N, and both suffered from the rear LCD delamination problem . They were easily fixed by peeling off the original anti-glare film and replacing it with an optical glass protector, which brought them back to looking flawless and new.

I have a used NEX-6 ordered and will be installing an optical glass protector on it--should I peel off the original film before doing this, or has Sony made improvements to their coating since the 5N days?

I've come across threads suggesting an optical glass LCD protector for the 6, but no one has specifically said if they removed the anti-glare film before installing it on that model.

Screen delamination on an NEX-5

The problem with the older generation NEX cameras is caused because the protection film that Sony put on the LCD's starts peeling off after a while...   you can complete the process and replace it yourself as a partial repair.  However the protective film was actually part of an anti-reflection process and unfortunately none of the aftermarket films are quite as effective

This protective film was not fitted to the NEX-6 or NEX-5R/T and so you will not have the same problem on those cameras as there is no film to bubble-off!  However by the same token the LCD's of these cameras are not so visible in daylight as on the older cameras 

I'm not sure if the film is missing from the later cameras because of the issues it caused on the earlier ones, or simply as a cost-saving measure

What a shame Sony don't sell the protective film to their customers directly!

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow