Just how mediocre are the kit lenses?

Started Mar 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gned New Member • Posts: 16
Just how mediocre are the kit lenses?

I thought once my tax return came in that I would have about $1000 for a new camera setup.  Unfortunately, unexpected expenses came up and my budget was slashed to $400.  So here are the two scenarios I'm considering, and I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.

Option 1:  Get the Olympus E-PM2 two lens deal.

Pros:

1.Great value for money

2. Smallest body in the line, would make a great ultra-portable backup should I upgrade in the future.

3. Provides widest range from wide angle to tele.

Cons:

1.Kit lenses.  Are they good enough to represent an improvement over my Canon XSi and 28-135mm lens, which I am growing increasingly unhappy with?

3. No tilt screen and fewer dials and buttons, requiring a lot more digging through menus to change settings.

Option 2: Buy a used E-PL5 and use my existing Canon FD 50mm f1.4 and 35-105 f3.5 (which are both excellent lenses.)

Pros:

1. Tilt screen.

2. More manual controls, less digging through menus.

Cons:

1.  Stuck with only manual control over aperture and focus.

2. Leaves me crippled in the wide angle range.

I'm leaning toward the E-PM2 because of the value for money and because it gives me more options, since I can still use my better lenses anyway.  But I'm concerned that I would be disappointed in the image quality from the kit lenses, and frustrated by the lack of manual control in the cheaper body.  Plus the tilt screen would be a very nice thing to have. What are people's thoughts?  Anything glaringly obvious I'm failing to take into consideration?

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow