Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,687Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?
In reply to Godfrey, 5 months ago

Godfrey wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

Wouldn't a MF 24mp with its immense cropability be an ideal candidate for a 35mm equivalent lens or even wider. It would be an RX1 with a rather narrow field of view with 80mm and a lot bulkier. It is difficult to imagine Sony producing an 80mm fixed lens version.

I agree: For a fixed lens niche camera, wide is the word. The SWC's Biogon 38mm nets a 90° diagonal FoV, approximately equivalent to a 21mm lens on a FF format, on a 6x6 sized negative with perfect rectilinear correction and up to 200 LP/mm even out to the corners. That's what makes it special ..

Ultra-high resolution and larger format sensors work best with ultra-wide lenses. Telephoto views can work beautifully with far less pixel resolution, and on smaller formats. That's my opinion, anyway, based on my experience using a wide variety of different cameras and formats for the past 50 years.

-- hide signature --

I really doubt this will be a fixed lens camera. My bet is an interchangeable lens camera with a new mount supporting AF, but with a short enough registration that all legacy MF lenses can be adapted. Basically, a medium format A7R.

I would expect something less than 40mm registration... maybe they'll even go with something really short, so that FE lenses could be adapted (in crop mode) as well.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow