Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Trust me……...
In reply to SQLGuy, 9 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

Most people don't know what to do with 24 mp. Among those that do most will not having the equipment to properly manage the files.

My guess is that the camera wold sell to the elite pros and the "more money then brains" poseurs but maybe I am missing something.......

First of all, "most people" also don't participate in this forum; they're not part of this discussion. Most of "most people" are happy with cell phones and entry level DSLRs.

Second, if your opinion of a MF camera that sells for significantly less that any other MF is that it's only for "elite pros and the "more money then brains"", then it sounds like you see no need for medium format at all, ever. I think there are plenty of pro and amateur still life, landscape, portrait, architectural, and artistic photographers that would not agree with you.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

When I say 99.99 % I am including this forum.

That is not to say that people cannot convince themselves that they need MF; they can. That doesn't mean that they really need it or know what to do with it.

Tell me which oeuvre has been presented in this forum that, in your opinion, would be qualitatively improved by the acquisition of a medium format system?

The answer is, wait for it, none.

With thousands are the world's best photographers establishing international reputations with 35mm cameras it is easy to see that medium format is a specialty system that is utilized in specialized professional applications. The cost, incidently, is written off as a business expense.

Put another way - How many people here have photographic needs that transcend the capabilities of the D800E ?

How many people would find a 991 GT3 too slow?

Again; a rarefied elite or people who are looking for some fancy (er) toys.

Note that I don't think buying expensive toys makes someone a bad person. It is your money and how you spend it is your business.

I just don't think it is good to fool yourself into spending money on depreciating assists when you don't need them.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow