Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Dom1
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: D800 photo counter 1/2 off
In reply to Full Frame, 5 months ago

Full Frame wrote:

Dom1 wrote:

I just recently bought a D800 after playing around with a D7000 for a year. For now I am using my 16GB SD cards until I buy fast CF cards for it.

Each photo is roughly 40MB in NEF format and 32MB in DNG. The photo counter on the D800 shows I can only take 200 photos with my 16GB SD cards.

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

My math tells me I should fit 400 photos on a 16GB card.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Dom

Take of photo of anything with detail in RAW format.

Now:

Go to your shooting menu - second page.

Go to Change "NEF (RAW recording' and press ok

Go to first line it will probably say "type ON. press ok and change it "uncompressed"and press ok. It should now show up as off.

Go into the menu again and make sure the second line reads "NEF(RAW)bit depth 14-bit.

Now take a picture of the same scene. Load both pictures into your computer and check the file size.

Now take the capacity of the card and divide it by the size of the uncompressed file. you should be at about 200 pictures for your 16gb card

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa "If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52333300@N05/

RAW Lossless Compressed 12bit = 30MB

RAW Lossless Compressed 14bit = 40MB

RAW Uncompressed 12bit = 56MB

RAW Uncompressed 14bit = 74MB

Then when I convert to DNG on my PC I get

RAW Lossless Compressed 12bit = 19MB

RAW Lossless Compressed 14bit = 19MB

RAW Uncompressed 14bit = 28MB

RAW Uncompressed 12bit = 28MB

That's interesting because my 16MP D7000 files once converted to DNG on my PC were 16-19MB.  I must have been shooting 14bit.

I left it on 12bit lossless compressed.  Counter now shows 250 shots.  I will max out the card to see the actual count.  Thanks for the help!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow