Re: same here
In reply to trueview, 9 months ago

trueview wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

trueview wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

trueview wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

Welcome Photo W. You got a wonderful camera. X trans photos simply have a unique look and feel that transcends the sum of it's parts (or charts). There are a few here who have a problem with X trans for whatever reasons. But like many, when you see the photos you perceive those unique qualities, a mixture of the colors and sharpness, the way it captures the actual environment. Some may not perceive it, others may perceive it and don't like it anyway.

Watch out for those who say they are Fuji fans in a big way. Ask them specifically if they like X trans, the very direction of the company they say they love.

Now, if you want to be blown away, head over to Fliker and search groups for X trans, and get ready for tens of thousands of incredible shots. Search the XF 23mm, the XF 14, the 35, the 55-200 lenses. These thousands of photos clearly prove what a special too Fuji has created, and you have seen this for yourself in your own photos already.

It truly is an X trans universe, and I am proud to be a fanboy. It's okay to be a fanboy if your object of desire is the best.

Maybe a slight loss of sense of perspective here ?

I mean, I'm thoroughly satisfied with the xtrans sensor: the x pro 1 for me has become the digital equivalent of my Leica M6, since digital Leica prices are vastly out of my range.

The size-weight / IQ ratio of the x pro one is nothing short of stunning. But come on, I also get amazing results from my 5DIII. I also got to use a D800 a few times : can this camera also deliver in terms of IQ !

Fuji cameras are truly excellent, and with ergonomics I'm particularly fond of. But unique ?

In my opinion, uniqueness has more to do with what is in front of the camera and who is behind the camera, than the camera itself...

Oh yeah, very unique to me and many others. The colors ALONE make them unique to me and many. And yeah, somewhat overblown because it fun to toy with the X trans haters.

me ? A xtrans hater ? I must have misunderstood the definition of the word hate !

As for colors, sorry to disagree. In my opinion, the canon 5d3 has slightly better awb than the fuji. Of course, this is easily equalized in post, but the fact remains that in my eyes the canon is a bit better in out of camera color rendition.

and at high ISO, the canon wins hands down, both for IQ and AF. But that should be expected: larger sensor, and not the same price either !

Now when it comes to street photgraphy, the fuji is miles ahead, with its loads of IQ in a small inconspicuous package. Also, I prefer the x pro 1 traditional ergonomics.

And again cameras are not unique : photographers are, I mean, a very few of them

You? No, not seen your postings. I was talking about Graham/Photophool/Chanthis

And I disgree about cams being unique, and a couple others just agreed, from sensor onwards through colors and gain and such a camera can have it's unique way of showing itself, we'll have to agree to disagree there.

Also disagree about color on Canon. While warm and nice, I don't believe either Fuji or Canon are very ACCURATE, and I notice you assume that accuracy is THE benchmark while not mentioning PLEASING. Can you see that many might not agree with your base standard of judging color? Notice how YOU defined for us the ground rules, then gave your opinion on Canon.

You have a point: wrong wording on my side (English not my first language). I share your opinion that in the end there is no such thing as truth in photography. So let me rephrase that : the Canon awb is more to my liking. That being said, there are a few instances when I feel the fuji is off : specifically for instance in city night photography, where in some cases the awb tries to anihilate the yellowish/reddish cast of city lights (at least here in Paris), giving pictures an overly blueish, artificial look.

Having owned the 5D2, I can say the Fuji x-E1 is hands down better in most every way, beter resolution, colors, high iso (and notice I didn't say the ground rules for this, so I will, better meaning the look of noise in Fuji being more film like when present, better shadow noise without the banding, AMOUNT of noise is not on top in my ground rules, the look of the noise is)

Knowing that many people say the 5D3 is not much different image quality than the 5D2, i would say that with my rules, the Fuji is better than even the 5D3, which from what I hear still has old sensor technology. So again, we will have to agree to disagree.

You may want to actually try the 5D3, especially at high iso. I personally skipped the 5D2, and went directly from the 1 to the 3.

As a long time user of film (and still using and processing it myself), my benchmark is how "'analog" digital noise is. The 5D3, similarly to the D800, has noise patterns that look more like film grain than the x pro 1, at least in my (granted, subjective) perception.

What is NOT subjective, is the ablility of the 5D3 to go really high up in iso. The following was taken at 25600 iso, 1/13th, f:4.0. Noise reduction is the LR standard : 0 in luminance, 25 in color. This is outdoors, the light coming from just one candle some distance away. THe actual light was significantly darker than the picture rendition.

Try that with the fuji. Number one, it has an extremely hard time locking focus. Number 2, in raw, the x pro 1 won't even let you go beyond iso 6400, which in effect is more or less equivalent to iso 3200 on the 5D3 (approx. one diaph difference between the x pro 1 and 5D3 when reading exposure from the same evenly lit standard grey card, with same iso and shutter speed).

The x pro 1 limits 12800 and 25600 setting to jpeg to apply in camera noise reduction. Objectively, the 5D3 is simply in another league.

However, I will admit that 25600iso is not something you need on a daily basis as a photographer. But when you need it, it's amazing how the 5D3 performs way up there.

But there we have it.  Nice pic but I never use iso that high.  In fact, my auto iso is at 1600.  I know the 5D2 was terrible with banding and such, and the noise was not pleasing or film like to me.  Maybe I am thinking of fine grained more specifically.  I find the Fuji to have a much more pleasing noise.  Never owned the 5D3 as I said but I do know that many say the iq with the 5D2 is similar, but the one thing they say is different is the high iso, which you have hung your hat on here.  If you use that then it's a great reason for you to own it.

I found the aa filter on the 5D2 to be fairly strong and when the cr2 files were brought in to DPP with sharpening down the files were fairly blury.  When considering the Fuji I literally looked at thousands of photos, and you also now that when you use a camera exclusively for a long while you are very tuned to what it offers.  To me the image quality of the X trans is simply far and away better than that camera.  Much more detail without the AA filter, more pleasing colors, better shadows and highlight recovery, just better all the way around.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow