Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,327Gear list
Like?
Me, big time, but...
In reply to jkspepper, 9 months ago

I'm not at all certain about dumping my A7r yet.

For me, a lot will have to do with just what sort of animal this new beast will be. I have a Pentax 645N and several lenses plus a flash. I could be interested in the new Pentax CMOS camera if the price is reachable. I would go that direction if the Sony camera has the same basic MF form factor.

If, otoh, the Sony is more like a Mamiya 7, Fuji 645 , Bronica 645, or similar style and size, then I would probably lean that way if the price could stay around $4-6K. And for this camera I could probably live with a fixed lens or a mid range zoom---something in the 28-70 equiv FL. Slow is ok, 99% of my shooting is stopped down for max DOF. I would also hope they keep it relatively simple: think A850. I'd be on that camera instantly, maybe even pre-order.

I have a Fuji GSW690II , and it remains one of my favorite all time cameras to shoot with. Key positive aspects are the leaf shutter and the size---that size allows for stable hand holding at amazingly slow speeds without any stabilization.

And here's the funny thing about the size---in weird ways even that big Fuji (the "Texas Leica") was easy to carry around, almost easier than my DSLR's.  The Sony, if it is what I think it might be, won't be nearly as large---really great walk around camera, street shooter's dream.  And for most people it doesn't register as a big camera, so it's stealthy as a rangefinder.  But now with added landscape capabilities.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow