A6000 quick AF test with dogs

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 quick AF test with dogs
In reply to koylez, 7 months ago

I know there have been some people asking for AF test with dogs, so here's mine:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5522221024

The weather finally cleared enough for me to take these yesterday afternoon after 5:30. The light was falling so I let the camera decide ISO. A lot of them appear to be ISO 1600 and above, so the results are a bit muddy. I also had to use a faster shutter speed to avoid motion blur.

I'm not sure if it's as good as my old Nikon D300, but it's at the stage where I don't really have to worry about the focus system. My NEX 7 could not take these.

Thank you SO much! This is one of the best real life tests I've seen... a very valuable data point. Even at ISO3200 & f5.6 there is definitely enough detail and shallow enough DOF to see where the area of critical focus is... the grass really helps in that regard.

Can I ask about your settings, if you remember? Your drive mode was single frame, not continuous, right? Were you in AF-C? What was your AF area, wide?

If you're feeling magnanimous and are are up for another test, I'd love to see a test in similar lighting where you're in A mode, forcing the aperture to f1.8, using AF-C/tracking & wide AF area. Using continuous shooting mode and shooting a burst after calling the dog to you would be way cool.

Provided the lighting is similar, that should get you a high shutter speed AND a lower ISO... depth of field would be way shallower, too. If it chooses a shutter speed under 1/1000 you can dial in a higher ISO to boost it.

Thanks so much!

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow