Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fortnerc
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Starting Over - Lenses
9 months ago

I'm just getting back into photography, switched systems from Minolta to Canon about a year ago. I'm on a meager budget but my main loves are architecture and birding. I'm hoping to spend some time in Assateague & Chincoteague in a few weeks and two weeks this summer on the NC coast. I have saved the money for a new lens and looking for a good telephoto or 300 or 400 prime. I'm currently shooting with a Canon 650D (T4i) and may look at a second body in the [distant] future. My lens budget though, is around $1200 new or used.

I've read reviews for the new Tamron 150-600 which look very promising, but many reviews are using this lens and the others comparing it to the Canon 100-500 or Sigma 50-500 on bodies like the Canon 5D Mark II or III or the 6D or 7D.

If I'm looking for a solid wildlife/birding lens for my current camera, how do I weigh in the differences between optics for my current body? Should it even matter?

Lenses Considering: Canon 100-400, Tamron 150-600, Canon 300 f/4 (with a 1.4x TC ?), Sigma 50-500

I would love to rent any of these lenses, however the closest shop to me that rents equipment is over 2 hours away and not near any good birding areas, so I'd be looking at a pricey investment to rent and compare lenses over a weekend when I could put that money towards buying one.

Thanks for any advice

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow