XT1 - Truly Superior IQ

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?
Re: Can you tell them apart? X-Trans and GX7 shots (and others)...
In reply to guitarjeff, 9 months ago

guitarjeff wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

Here are a bunch of shots taken with a variety of cameras, including X-Trans, m43 (both GX7 and 1 or 2 EM1 shots because I didn't have the GX7 all that long), other APS, full frame, and even some from a small sensor camera. The exif is stripped out, the aspect ratios are applied randomly, and all images are uploaded with a long edge of 2048 pixels, small enough so that this doesn't come down to extreme pixel peeping, but large enough to fill a 27" monitor and to see any really notable differences in quality. And these are real world examples of how I shot 'em (all raw) and how I processed them for my taste. Your taste may be different - that's fine, but that shouldn't keep you from calling out the obvious superiority of the X-trans files and inferiority of the m43 files...

So pick 'em as you see 'em. And if you true believers get enough of 'em right, MAYBE I'll start taking your pronouncements of superiority seriously.

I should also say that I don't doubt for a MINUTE that you (and I) may bond with Fuji cameras in a way we find particularly appealing and we just qualitatively like the images they produce. I do - I've been on the Fuji bandwagon with only minor interruptions since the first batch of X100 shipments hit North American shores in early 2011. I just don't believe, based on EXTENSIVE experience, that the technical image quality from the X-Trans sensor is head and shoulders above anything else, as some of you seem to believe. I find it right mid-pack actually, which in today's environment is a VERY VERY GOOD PLACE to be!!! It's the lenses and the feel of the cameras that make me a Fuji loyalist - I love their primes and the shooting experience. X-trans doesn't really hurt or help in my case.

So, call 'em as you see 'em:

-Ray

-- hide signature --

We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Again, you are asking us to DEFINE art in a way. This would be meaningful IF ALL ASPECTS OF photography were math with ZERO feel. Let's go to the Flikre groups of say, the 5D3 and the X trans group, there is one that has 67,000 photos. Show me hundreds from each, and I believe I could tell you which is which. So again the simple question--Are you saying there can be NOTHING unique about the way a sensor and it's electronics/gain/noise/colors and such shows itself? That's the more fundamental question than posting a half dozen pics and asking people which is X trans.

Also, the mere fact that these are all different lighting and subjects with different distances and such really hurts this experiment.  I can take a photo of a dead, brown winter time forest and it would be pretty tough to show off Fuji colors, know what I mean?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow