Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316Gear list
Like?
The X-T1 EVF is "State of the Art"
4 months ago

Bold statement, eh? If it's so "state of the art", what's with all that noise in low light?

It came to me early this morning, as I was playing with the X-T1 in the gloom and focusing on the print on the side of a mug, using the fabulous Dual View mode. I thought "Dang! This is as noisy in the EVF or LCD as people have claimed. It's much noisier than my X-E1, what gives?".

It's the boundaries of physics, ladies and gentlemen. What do Fuji claim as the EVF response time? 0.008 seconds or something? When I sat and thought about it, I realised how incredible that is. What the Fuji engineers have done is to use every trick in the book and then made a few close judgements between noise filtering and response time.

The basis of all electronic filters is the RC circuit. The resistors that make up most of the R have no latency but the capacitors that make up the C, well, oh dear. They have charge and discharge times. Let me mention that all digital data communication relies heavily on filtering, very heavily indeed.

Have you ever listened to a football match on the radio and watched it on a digital TV feed at the same time? The radio commentary can sometimes beat the TV picture by 10 seconds; that's because your digital TV signal has gone through an enormous filter chain to give you a coherent and watchable picture.

Back to the X-T1 EVF. They've tried to reduce the response time to as near as real-time as possible - and OVF is the benchmark, and that's real-time save for the speed of light. The only way to do this is to box very very clever with filter design and to reduce the filter chain to the shortest possible while still presenting a usable picture. The noise we can see in low light is the quid pro quo - sure, they could fix the noise in a firmware update, but the response time would slow down dramatically; we'd be back to square one.

So yeah, I'm growing to love my display noise - it tells me how damn cutting-edge this kit is. Bravo for taking that risk, Fuji.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow