Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,676
Like?
Re: Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?
In reply to ambercool, 6 months ago

ambercool wrote:

I've said this probably a hundred thousand times from people that ask me in person about cameras. Find out what type of photography you want to start out with and then the lens you want. Ultimately, even if the body won't be 100% to your liking it should always be secondary. Camera bodies evolve; lenses... not so much.

Lenses might be refreshed every 10 years. So let's say you love macro, and you check out the lenses and love the Nikon offerings over the Sony. Then you by some way get to try those lenses. Or maybe you just love the Nikon lens better cause it's cool. Then just go with the 5300.

In the special case of macro, there is little advantage in having auto-focus, so a Nikon lens will be just as good on the A6000 as on a Nikon camera. I use several Nikon lenses for macro on a Sony mirrorless -- the results are excellent. The PB-4 bellows also works very well indeed with a Sony mirrorless camera.

Good Live View and a tilting LCD are what you need for macro work.

Trust me, nothing is worst than using a lens that you don't "feel" is a gem to you. The next worse thing that can happen is that all the cool things on a body is just not all there. But in the end all you really need are the staple mode dials and a kick ass lens. Although I do love fast and accurate auto-focus, to me it's only a luxury that I don't have to have alongside every manufacturer's features that now waste tons of trees in printing manuals on how to use them all.

I'm not claiming that I would get the 5300 over the 6000, but I just wanted to put it out there on how I would choose.

GL!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow