I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?
Re: I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.
In reply to millardmt, 8 months ago

millardmt wrote:

Hi Kids:

Warning -- LONG Winded Ramble (best left to someone less discriminating)

None of the MFT cameras currently on the market are quite what I'm after, and so I continue to use my Oly E-P3 (which suits me very well indeed).

I should say that I have quite a stash of old Nikkors which I refuse to forsake, and so I was (and am) greatly pleased with the advent of the Metabones Nikon-to-MFT speedbooster/Adapter.

Anyway this is what I want and, implicitly, why I feel so conflicted about the choices currently open to me.

I like analog dials: were it not for its size and the need to buy new native lenses and, especially, because I refuse to buy a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder "hump," I'd buy the Fuji XT-1.

Which brings me to my pet peeve: If a camera doesn't have a prism, its EVF better be modular or I'll want nothing to do with it! Period. End of discussion. If I even suspect that a manufacturer's designers are being instructed by its marketing department to make something that "looks like a DSLR" because that's "what our focus groups keep telling us they like," then forget it -- I won't buy it. (I realize built-in EVFs have to located somewhere -- just not THERE!)        snip

But before you conclude that I'm some kind of holier-than-thou purist whom nobody can please, snip

and, yes, I'm ready for institutional care ...

I agree. About the institutional care that is.

Your ideal camera would be the XT-1 were it not for having to buy lenses? Maybe a compact camera would suit? Err, no. Nothing will please you.

Except perhaps the XT-1 with a customising job to add shoulders each side of the hump so you don't get a hump. Humph! Send it to Hasselblad. They will customise it for you with nice wooden shoulders. Or you could just use some car body filler and black paint. Job's a good one!

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
35SNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow