Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?
Re: clarifcation given.
In reply to K E Hoffman, 5 months ago

K E Hoffman wrote:

Greg A A wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Also think about the ability to adapt lenses with shorter registrations than Nikon or Canon EOS like Leica M, Zeiss ZM and Canon FD as well as Nikon and Canon. If you're a legacy lens fan like I am, the D5300 won't be able to do as much although Nikon has an extensive number of classic Nikkors that are nice to use.

The D5300 is not very usable with older Nikkors. It won't autofocus with AF-D lenses and won't meter with AI lenses. If you're not willing to stick with AF-S lenses, it's just not a good choice.

Allow me to reword what you said that so the OP will understand it.

"If you're not willing to stick with any of the 110+ AF-S lenses (including ones from Sigma and Tamron) that have been produced, of which more than 90 are still available, it's just not a good choice."

That said, if the OP can afford it, A6000 + 16-70/4 Zeiss is one sweet, small setup.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

The more lenses argument is valid:

1) if you have a need to own more than 20 lenses

This is what one says to rationalize a limited set of lenses for a camera mount. Choosing a lens is not just having one with the focal length you want. There are tradeoffs on dollars vs quality. Do you want to spend money on a 2.8 lens or do you want a lighter do everything walk around zoom at 3.5/5.6. Do you want to take advantage of all of the capability of your high quality sensor with prime lenses? The Nikon lens system, or Canon for that matter, are not overkill. These lens systems provide what you might need for various uses. Add Sigma and Tamron to those lenses and you have a wide variety of choices.

WOW! You are so smart.. it never occurred to me that in choosing my lenses I should consider FL, $$, Max Aperture, Quality etc. Thanks for sharing you daring an unique lens perspective..

BTW I never I never mentioned focal length a factor or sole factor in choosing a lens did I? So what was your point?

2) if there is a lens you need to shoot the photos you like that is not covered by the Sony e-mount / Sigma e-mount / other e-mount offerings

Otherwise it is like buying a care because it speedometer goes up to 160 vs one that goes up to only 120.

A sophomoric way of considering lenses. Over time you will decide you want to do different kinds of photography. You will understand that there are some valid reasons to choose a particular lens.

No more sophomoric than "My Brand has more lenses I will never own than your brand has lenses you will never own" really?

The lens is everything. You will find that camera bodies come and go, but you keep your lens system for a long time. I still frequently use a quality lens from my film days with good results today, thanks to the compatible Nikon system.

And I use Quality Minolta lenses thanks to the Compatible Sony system AND BTW ALL Sony A-mount cameras support ALL Sony / Minolta era A-mount lenses unlike Nikon which has remove support for many legacy (lower cost lenses) in its lower cost camera line. Ironic to dell a budget camera that can't use many of the great used budget lenses..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

Again.Slower for the lens snobs...

If System A has 20 lenses and you want to own 2 or 5..of a particular focal length, aperture range, price etc. that matter to you and you can find lenses in the 20 that work.. Then guess what.. 20 or 100 lenses.. you will be just fine. Having a mature view of lens options will prevent you from spending weekends at the camera store reminding people how many lenses you could own if you had a bazillion dollars and why lenses you will never own are more important in choosing a camera than features you will use....

There is logical shopping for a camera (and system) and their is "sheeping" to a brand.

You'll note in this.. I gave you a very objective logical path to choosing.. and someone else needed to get all "I know more than you" really?

In the case of the A6000 vs D5300 (both very capable cameras)

What our Nikon Fan missed in his lens math is that the A6000 unlike the D5300 can mount and use Nikon lenses mount, in manual mode.. and the larger collection of Canon lenses in full AF modes plus Leica lens, Minolta lenses, Sony lenses both Amount and e-mount, etc. because Sony and several companies make very nice adapters (with no added optics to change the image quality of the lens.

This makes the actual available lens set for the A6000 many times that of the D5300.. but as I said.. its not the count.. even when the Sony is better.. its what do you need to do YOUR photography. And IF the smaller set of lens options on the D5300 meets your needs any you like its size and features vs the A6000.. don't let the massive count of lenses you can use on the A6000 sway you over the limited Nikon DSLR lens count.

Thanks.. good luck in choosing..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow