Running Win95 programs on Vista/Win7

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,974
Like?
Re: P.S. Conduit and more...
In reply to ABA DABA, 9 months ago

ABA DABA wrote:

I normally run Avira, Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D every Friday night. Neither Avira or malware found it but Spybot did and listed it as C:\malware. Sent you a PM with all the particulars. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't see a PM, and it's 1:00AM here and I'm going to bed now. I'll look for a PM again tomorrow.

But, try the instructions in my last post for starters (for example, run adwcleaner, try running Malwarebytes using Safe Mode) There are reasons I suggested running adwcleaner, and there are reasons I suggested running Malwarebytes from Safe Mode)

It could also be a false positive from Spybot S&D. But, it's more likely that your scans are just missing the problem (for one thing, malwarebytes doesn't detect everything and adwcleaner is better for detecting and removing some potentially unwanted software/adware). As for running Malwarebytes from Safe mode, that's because malware can more easily hide from scanners after it's running; whereas booting into safe mode may not give the malware a chance to load yet (so some malware can be detected by scanning in Safe Mode, when it's able to hide from scanners if it's already loaded).

If you still don't find anything, give HitMan Pro a try and see if it identifies any threats:

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

But, in some cases, booting into a linux rescue disk may be needed (so that you're not booting into a comprised operating system to perform the scans), as also mentioned in my last post to you.

Anyway, I do not see a PM from you, and it's way past time for me to be in bed (after 1:00AM here).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow