Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg A A
Contributing MemberPosts: 607
Like?
Re: Lenses, Viewfinder, Feel
In reply to NowHearThis, 4 months ago

NowHearThis wrote:

Greg A A wrote:

My choice is the D5300 over the A6000 for the lenses, OVF and image quality.

Nikon had to remove the AA filter just to try and equal the IQ of the 2 1/2 year old Sony NEX7. And I it's debatable which produces a sharper image.

Given that the Nikon D5300 doesn't have quite as good IQ as the D7100 and that the A6000 has an improved sensor over the NEX7. I'm betting with equal lenses, the Sony wins on sharpness at low to mid ISOs (which is 99.95% of my shooting).

D5300 is essentially the same in IQ with the D7100, both of which are somewhat better than the NEX-7. It's doubtful that there would little if any advantage with an A6000. Lenses are the limiting factor with these cameras, of which you have more choices to decide IQ vs $ with Nikon.

I'd also rather have the Sony 16-70/4 over any Nikon DX wide zoom lens. Nikon has plenty of great lenses (and I've shot plenty) but for someone looking for high quality in a small package, the A6000 with the Zeiss or any of the F1.8 primes is a fantastic option.

And the OVF/EVF is like Ford vs Chevy. I don't mind OVFs, but I like EVFs for what they do for me that OVFs will never be able to do (e.g. live screen in video, live histogram, detailed level control and not some half-baked one using a few af points, instant feedback when I change WB or any other image parameter, etc...)

I've had 3 SLRs (and shot with Dozens), and 1 mirrorless. I much preferred the mirrorless to any of them. But to each their/own.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

I recently was deciding between the D7100 and the NEX-7 for another body smaller than a full frame. For me the NEX-7 EVF and small size just wasn't a comfortable camera. The choice of lenses is a big deal also. Nikon has it all over the NEX-7 lens lineup, hands down. Once I tried the NEX-7 that was the end of that idea. You need to try both to decide what you like, because there is a big difference in how they handle.

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow