Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike in Kansas
Contributing MemberPosts: 607Gear list
Like?
X-E1 and XF 55-200mm shoot high school rugby
4 months ago

I had a chance to go shoot some high school rugby today. It was the first time I used the X-E1 and 55-200 for "real" action shots. My experience prior to this for shooting rugby was using my Nikon D300 (rear AF-ON button used for AFS-C, and shutter release in "shutter priority") and the Nikkor 70-300 AFS-VR. It was definitely a different experience - as the X-E1 really has no focus tracking, and the AF isn't blazingly fast, I basically put the focal reticule on the subject, and tracked it while I "button mashed" the shutter. I also kept my aperture at f/9 almost all the time, and tried to use Zone Focusing where possible.

Overall I am GREATLY pleased with the focusing performance of the camera and the ability to capture action. I had to adjust my style for sure - I can't just hold in the AF-ON button, keep the sensor reticule over the subject and track it like I used to do with the D300. But it's far from impossible to shoot action like some would have you believe. AND the 55-200 is a dream! Sharp as anything all the way through the focal range, low distortion, good contrast, nice handling. I like it better than the Nikkor 70-300.

Here are some shots from the day. Thanks for looking!

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Nikon D50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow