Running Win95 programs on Vista/Win7

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,977
Like?
Portable version appears to be clean
In reply to Joe186, 9 months ago

Joe186 wrote:

I’m running the non-installed portable version without any issues. Scanned with freshly updated Windows Defender, ClamWin Portable and McAfee Stinger. No threats reported by those three.

Well, I wouldn't trust any of those to warn you about adware installers like OpenCandy (what the main version of that program is going to use by default to install crap you probably don't want running that can be difficult to detect and remove without using specialized tools like adwcleaner and malwarebytes).

But, the portable version appears to be clean. See scan of the .exe inside of the .zip file for it:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/208ff3df3a128326a838f582eb94b98734286ffef62a2c68d9a353e361be00d8/analysis/1396146469/

I only see one AV product that flagged the portable version, and that's likely to be a false positive

But, the installer for the non portable version is something I'd avoid, as it uses OpenCandy in it's installer (and the software that OpenCandy installs if you're not very careful to opt out can sometimes be difficult to get rid of, with the opt out process often confusing and misleading).

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/91bdf317e50d349cd096b8daa7d5aabf85ef8e2288086073be9a7105070611fb/analysis/1396140246/

So, I'd be careful about recommending that type of software to others without warnings (or for that matter, I wouldn't suggest it at all, as I avoid products from developers that resort to including installers like OpenCandy in their so called "free" products, so that I don't end up with an adware infested PC).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow