Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,653Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 5 months ago

Photo-Wiz wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement. The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables. Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

If we assume this is correct, and I use a tripod perhaps once every 5000 shots, then isn't this type of test meaningful for me as the user? Why wouldn't I want to know how sharp pictures will be with this particular camera in my hands? In the end, doesn't it matter more to know how the camera will behave in my hands, shooting in the manner in which I am accustomed (i.e. no tripod)?

I think the fact that I take a series of pictures of each object/scene with each camera, tends to reduce the overall impact of my own personal wobblyness (not sure if there is such a word) -- especially because in the end I compare the best pictures that each camera was able to take.

In this case, believe me I really wanted to like the GX7 better, because I could have saved a few hundred dollars. I was still in the period in which the XT1 was returnable. But I decided to keep the XT1 even though it cost more because it yielded significantly better results (at least in these hands of mine).

If you want to know which camera is sharper, remove the variables and test on a tripod.  The only difference in shooting handheld is that you introduce possible  motion blur.  If you want to test to see which camera has sharper motion blur then test shooting handheld.  As mentioned above, there's a difference between testing for absolute sharpness that a camera can produce, and testing one's ability to hold a camera steady.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow