Tap0
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
Re: India with Nikon Df (CC)
In reply to wisep01, 4 months ago

wisep01 wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

wisep01 wrote:

I see you rode on one of those cycle rickshaws. Did you ride on back of elephant and camel too? Also, there are squadrons of trained street leprotic macaques trained to beg and pick-pocket. At their helm are equally rabid urchins with faux american accents who will grope you in places where the sun doesn't shine.

Zach Arias really had a way with such local fauna: his video on his trip to Mumbia was just great, as was that ravishing model he shot in the famed dhobi ghat, best known for the thousands of clothes washed and laundered there...in the same water that thousands squat and do their jobs in (my left foot learned this the hard way when it met one of those jobs on a shoot on mumbai's bandstand) on a vacation there.

I learned from a colleague who regularly has to visit India, that when you do not get diarrhea in India than there is something wrong with your body.

I haven't been there I have to say. But it's always a wish of me to visit this nation with the highest number of billionaires and the highest income difference in the world. Its not only a nation to get sick in but also to get sick of, at least for a large part of the population.

Michel

- Objectivity is of the very essence of photography, its contribution and at the same time its limitation -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

The walls still reverberate with the echo of my mirthless laugh--a cracked, hollow sound that one might have mistaken for a peculiar kind of cough, prompted, of course, by your uncannily accurate estimation of India, your wry humor making for a post both poetic and profound.

In my experience, India is a nation of paradoxes, a study in contrast between the haves and the have-nots, and whereas inequality is not its sole province, it is certainly one of its defining traits. Businessmen in Oxfords, their eyes glassed-over with apathy, share the streets with people, who will, for a pittance, polish those Oxfords.

Curiously, though, you wont find pictures of the new breed of moneyed Indian, one dressed in the trappings of the Western world and all its attendant luxuries. Photographers love to paint an overly romanticized, stinted view of the sub-continent, one they would have you believe, is full of the slumdog millionaires, not the millionnaires themselves. Because, with few exceptions, millionaires all look the same, dress the same, drive the same expensive cars, and wear the same expensive watches, no matter where in the world they happen to hail from.

But the poorest of the poor are a heterogeneous lot who sport the characteristic accoutrements of their culture, inhabiting a parallel universe of little to non-existent upward social mobility, hawking the same goods that their fathers and grandfathers did, and tilling the land of their forefathers. Poverty sells--the world at large likes to sample pictures of this underclass--wrinkly old women in saris and with sun-parched faces, and pictures of street children decked in the colors of Holi. Conspicuously absent from most portfolios are the Guccis and Armanis of India.

Well said about India. Photographic standards in the gear forums of DPReview are not very high, which explains the polite praise of these random snapshots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow