Question - Nikon 70-200f4 and Teleconverters?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
raymondg
Contributing MemberPosts: 560Gear list
Like?
Question - Nikon 70-200f4 and Teleconverters?
9 months ago

I am travelling shortly and have decided to add a telephoto to my travel kit. Normally, the longest travel FL is use is 120mm using the 24-120VRIIf4. This FL has been fine in the past, but this trip will require more reach. I decided to go for best quality for the size/weight. I would have preferred the new 80-400VR but just too big and heavy so I opted for the 70-200VRIIIf4. I would prefer to stay with Nikon TCs.

So to get some more reach I am considering a teleconverter either the latest TC14 or TC17. I will be using my D800E so no problem with AF at f8. I may also consider using both the TC and the D800E in crop mode for that extra reach should I need it. I am looking for a good balance of reach vrs quality.

I have no experience with TC's and therefore ask my fellow learned Forum members on their opinions - TC14 or TC17? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --
 raymondg's gear list:raymondg's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow