Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,926Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?
In reply to Bart Hickman, 4 months ago

Bart Hickman wrote:

wsalopek wrote:

I agree...I am just trying to understand the limits of the various "features" of the Nex-6, and how they might affect a purchase decision...in this case, a telephoto/zoom lens.

Thanks.

My point is, if you shoot RAW, the clear zoom is irrelevant in your decision. The optical sharpness is more important. If you go for the a6000, I think the 55-210 will still have enough optical sharpness at F/7.1 or F/8 to really have about 25% more reach with the higher pixel count. The 18-200 might not be as sharp (just guessing--I don't know.)

I agree with you about CIZ being irrelevant to RAW shooters. Even for those who get excited by it, it doesn't add any extra detail, unlike optical zoom.

I have the SEL18200 and it's pretty sharp, but as I don't have the 55-210, it's hard for me to say which is better at the telephoto end. Obviously the 18-200 is better at the wide end. However, I see to be getting more flare with it than I used to, perhaps because of the dust that's got in.

Here's a set of recent hummingbird pics, many cropped quite fiercely (so equivalent to CIZ), taken with the SEL18200: https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/sets/72157639887091796/

And here's another cropped example I took in Panama, which tested the lens's reach to the max: https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/11928783935/in/set-72157639727636455

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow