Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
XT-1 Advice needed...
4 months ago

I've asked a few questions on other members threads and thought that I should start my own thread so that hopefully others may also benefit by reading.

I've been lusting for a Fuji X system for quite some time and have been holding out for the rumored X-Pro 2.  Now that the XT-1 is out, I think that there has been enough changes made to make me jump in now instead of waiting for who knows how long for the future X-Pro 2.

Here is my problem.  I have no lenses of any kind.  My only camera is the Olympus XZ-1 that has a 28 - 112mm equivalent zoom with max aperture of F1.8 - 2.5, just a point and shoot but has some manual controls and really does a pretty good for such a little sensor.

I'll want to be able to capture all the cuteness and all the antics of my new little Golden Retriever puppy coming this May (so I need fast and accurate focusing) both inside and outside of the house.  I love to photograph my favorite jazz musicians in dimly lit jazz clubs.  I love shooting sunsets and sunrises, landscapes, flowers, bugs, churches and other beautifully constructed architecture, candid photos of family and friends, etc.

So I have a varied interest and it is all amateur…no aspirations of being a pro, but still want to strive for the best images possible.

What is important to me….being able to capture my favorite jazz musicians in dimly lit jazz clubs.  Fast and accurate auto focussing to capture all the cuteness and antics of my little Golden Retriever puppy.  I love bokeh.  I do landscapes, sunsets/sunrises, flowers, bugs, birds, churches and other beautiful architecture, candid photos of friends and family….so pretty varied interests.  This is only a hobby for me, but I aspire to taking the best images possible….I still have a lot to learn but am having fun with the journey.

My initial thought is to buy the XT-1 body and then the 23mm 1.4 (for my all around general purpose) and also get the 55-200mm for some reach.  I've read that the 23 would be sharper, faster (for the jazz club shots) improved bokeh, and better focussing than the kit 18-55mm although the kit zoom is still vary nice. I need the reach and have heard the 55-200mm is very sharp and is capable of nice bokeh.  Then later I thought I'd possibly get the new weather sealed 16-55mm F2.8 for increased flexibility and still have the fastness and weather proofing.  Does this make any sense?

Or should I get the XT-1 with the 18-55mm kit along with the 55-200mm and just skip the 23mm and call it good enough?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated and greatly welcomed.

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow