Who would want to ADD VR to a non-VR lens?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian in Montana
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
Who would want to ADD VR to a non-VR lens?
6 months ago

I would. I have the old 300F4, and despite its slow focus I really like it. It has a reputation of being just about as good optically as the newer AF-S and it has a better tripod collar. It also contains enough metal to make a small firearm. Did I mention you can pick one up in very good condition for ~$500? The problem? Neither it nor the AF-S has VR. VR would be nice to have on these, and perhaps also on a host of other non-VR lenses if it didn't degrade image quality, no?

I asked on the Photographic Science and Technology forum if anyone had heard of an auxiliary lens that would deliver VR (sticking it between the lens and camera body like a teleconverter). One person was kind enough to respond, even if a little tersely, that "no - this doesn't exist", but they pointed to a story about Tamron and Nikon filing patents in the early 2000s for just such things (although the Nikon one goes in FRONT of the lens). I suppose there are marketing reasons for not following through...sigh.

http://petapixel.com/2011/02/22/nikon-and-tamron-patent-teleconverters-with-built-in-image-stabilization/

All in favor, say "aye".

Regards, Brian

Brian in Montana's gear list:Brian in Montana's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +19 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow