Nikon's D700 a balanced camera for image quality, value, pro handling and MP.

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,448Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon's D700 a balanced camera for image quality, value, pro handling and MP.
In reply to Robin Casady, 9 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Robin,

You must be losing something in the English to English translation! I didn't say they were doing badly.

Perhaps the loss in translation was between your thoughts and your words. Considering that the argument is about whether Nikon should make a new model closer the D700 specs, and taking these sentences, "They may have made a killing selling D700 bodies instead. And considering the money Nikon has lost through stupidity ( ie D600 oil. D800 AF ) building a D700II should be the least of their worries." it sounds like you are implying that the D800 did worse than the D700. Otherwise, I don't follow the logic of your argument. How would some mfg. problems support the idea of adding another model. Seems that it would be a good argument for the opposite. If they are having mfg problems with their existing models, adding a new model would just add stress to a system that is already struggling.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

No - probably between my words and your thoughts.  My remark on "they may have made a killing selling D700 bodies" was making the point, as was in the full post, that even though fellows said on here that D700 sales bastardized D3 sales, we really do not know if that's the case. Nikon may have made more money with D3 / D700 together than if they never made the D700. None of use here are privy to that info. So my only point to that was that a D4 / D700II combo may or may not be a bad thing. Nikon should have an idea on that.  END OF THAT

Second idea put forth - The D600 and D800 issues cost Nikon money. They lost sales, irregardless if the D800 is the best selling DSLR or not. Charges to clean sensors, replace shutters, adjust AF all added up to money lost or money not made due to stupidity ( carelessness, poor QC, whatever )  I'm saying for the money wasted they could have shoved a D4 or D600 sensor into a D800 body with a decent buffer without spending a ton of money.  Probably less than they lost on the D600 / D800 issues. Manufacturing problems are over - they seemed to have been over when the Df was released. Not time to retreat.  Hit it hard with a D700II release.  Df created a lot of buzz; imagine what a D700II would do. END OF THAT

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow