Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,232Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?
In reply to wsalopek, 8 months ago

wsalopek wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

wsalopek wrote:

But how does the camera know to "go into" clear zoom mode?

On my Sony 16-50 kit lens, clear zoom starts, of course, at the end of the optical zoom range by continuing to turn the zoom ring.

If a lens has no electrical connection to the camera, how does the camera know to "go into" clear zoom as the camera has no idea what zoom setting I am using, and much less that I have reached max zoom and want to zoom in further.

When clear zoom is enabled, the camera enters clear zoom mode when you get to the long end of the zoom range of the lens.

Bart

-- hide signature --

Bart,

I just want to be clear here for folks who might read this later...that is not correct (but please correct me if I am wrong!).

The camera can NOT enter clear zoom mode unless it is told to do so, and that means a person needs:

1) A Sony e-mount lens.

2) A manual (non-electrically connected) lens...and then using the cameras back control wheel to use clear zoom.

3) Any lens...if the Sony camera has a power zoom lever (the Nex-6 does not).

Yes, thanks for the clarification--I mis-read the post.  I meant to describe how it works with a regular E-mount lens.

CIZ is more of a beginner feature IMO.  For someone mucking around with non-E-mount lenses, I would think they're advanced enough to shoot RAW.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow