Sony A7 with Canon 16-35mm f2.8 or 17-40mm F4

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7 with Canon 16-35mm f2.8 or 17-40mm F4
In reply to RER220, 8 months ago

RER220 wrote:

Good callout, ever since i had the prime FE lenses I've been learning to shoot more like a prime user than a zoom user. Im just sometimes concern that 24mm is not wide enough and if i got a a wide angle prime that it would not get used enough, but the 24mm prime is a good alt. I wonder how the 24L does on the A7?

The 24L is a nice lens, but it's heavy and large. And you'll likely never shoot it at 1.4 anyway in most cases if you are a landscape shooter. Nice for low light action, and night shots, but in my opinion it's not the best paring for the A7's. If you want ultimate image quality, the 24mm TS-E is the way to go. If you want good portability and a light package at 24mm, the 24mm IS USM is very hard to beat. L lens image quality, in a tight little package. I prefer it to both 24mm L and the TS-E in most cases.

Many people complain about edge quality of the 24-70 FE at 24. Canon's ultra wide angle lenses don't do any better at their respective wide ends, but weak corners are a common characteristic in most UWA lenses, unless you get into primes.

I have not used my 17-40 on my A7r yet for much, but the corners were not stellar on my 5Dmk2. Didn't stop me from making good images though, at least in my perspective anyway. Too many people focus just on sharpness alone. The picture below was taken at f22, to get the longest shutter speed possible to smooth the water out but this limits the sharpness a tad because of diffraction. Its sharp enough for me, however and the content was more to my liking. I am very happy with the 17-40 myself. Supposed to be sharper than the 16-35 as well. I like it because it's weather sealed and light. And for a UWA zoom, it's good. Though from reading a lot of posts in this Sony NEX/Alpha form, it would probably fall well below most people standards!

snug Harbor

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow