Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TravelLight
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
AF hunting on 55-200mm... Is it normal?
5 months ago

I just discovered something today that puzzles me a bit. My (black & white) cat was doing something cute on the cat tree by the window so I grabbed the X-T1 with 55-200mm. It was very bright outside and the cat is mostly black so there is high contrast. The AF hunted and hunted and just wouldn't focus. I then pointed it to other things in the vicinity, and it also hunted quite a bit on the blue top of a water bottle, while having no problem with other things nearby (books, tripod, etc.).

I then changed to the 18-55mm and it also hunted a bit on the cat but managed to lock focus after 2-3 attempts, and focused on the water bottle top fairly fast with just the slightest hesitation. Both were used at the 55 FL. Of course, by then the cat had topped the cuteness and gone back to sleep.

Coming into the Fuji system I was prepared for the AF issues but still felt a bit dismayed. My previous camera, the lowly Panasonic G5, has never given me any AF problems; in fact, I don't remember one single time where it hunted or failed to lock focus. I love the image quality of Fuji but gosh, I can now totally understand some people's frustration at losing shots because of AF problems. The X-T1 already has the fastest AF in the whole lineup, but still every single lens (so far I have 14mm, 18-55mm, 60mm, and 55-200mm) I have tried has noticeably slower AF than G5 with any lens.

So, my question is: is it normal for 55-200 to hunt like that, or do I have a bad copy? I changed the metering mode but it didn't help. I previously used 55-200 in a local park briefly and didn't have issues.

Just need to vent, and a sincere question. Thanks!

Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow