Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,983Gear list
Like?
Community Challenge: Just One(?) Photo in March
7 months ago

Continuing the ever-expanding collection of great photographs from this community (January thread, February thread), here we are finishing up the third month of the year, where many of us are just now getting out of the rut of the snowpocalypse, at least here in the United States.

As in the previous two months, this thread series is designed to be a showcase to display your best photograph you made with any e-mount or RX camera this March. It is not a contest, and you can either post your technical best (good composition, subject, etc.), the one that received the most social media/viral presence, or the photograph that meant the most to you this month.

Be sure to list the camera/lens used in your description if it is not already included in the EXIF data, and feel free to give a bit of backstory for your photograph and why you choose it.

I'll start: this month was not filled with as many photography opportunities as I anticipated for a myriad reasons, the least of which was bad weather, oddly enough. Even still, I had an extremely difficult time choosing just one photograph. First up, my sister celebrated her wedding in Kentucky for extended family who could not make her original Florida ceremony. As such, I got to practice with some portrait poses for a couple wedding gigs coming up this summer. This shot was backlit by the sun only, with the white dress reflecting light back onto her arms for a glowing effect. The subtle streaks of lens flare also added to the composition:

Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 Wide-open

Though I am breaking my own rule here (whoops!), this next photograph holds equal weight in aesthetic appeal to me. The historical building of Old Morrison on Transylvania University's campus is always photogenic from any angle. Due to tightly-spaced surrounding architecture, there are only a few days each year where the sun sets on the horizon at just the right spot to side-light the building in a warm yellow-orange glow. This photograph, also with the Touit 32mm, showcases this light as well as the symmetrical shadows thrown against the building from the vertical columns. The slightly green grass (spring is slowly coming...) and blue sky pocked with warm clouds further adds to the photograph:

So, as before, reply away with your best photograph and get this thread filled with great photographs from our evolving community! And if you had the same problem choosing just one as I did, feel free to post two this month. I'll make an exception.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow