Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,051Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?
In reply to wsalopek, 6 months ago

wsalopek wrote:

Menu > Zoom on new UI, Camera > Zoom on previous UI.

Then use the dial to set zoom level (1.0x - 2.0x).

The Zoom menu option is only available for lenses that do not have PZ (power zoom).

The zoom is controlled by settings: Dig on/off, CIZ on/off. If you have only CIZ on, the zoom range will only be 1.0x to 2.0x. (There is no need to use Dig zoom - same as in post).

The Clear Zoom is applied to the image, you'll see it in live view, the camera/lens combination does not matter.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thanks Henry...that explains it.

-- hide signature --

Bill

P.S. One remaining question...

If I use an LA-EA2 with an A-mount lens...will the camera AUTOMATICALLY go into clear zoom by continuing to turn the zoom ring (assuming of course the camera is set to do that), just as if I was using an e-mount lens?

I have never owned an A-mount lens...can the zoom ring keep turning past what would normally be the max zoom setting like e-mount lenses?

Thanks...

Hi Bill,

CIZ works with the LA-EA2 adapter. In fact, it works better, as you preserve the LA-EA2's PDAF capability. With the E-mount lenses, in CIZ mode, the AF is a bit questionable - it seems to work, but the AF confirmation green rectangle box is not there any longer (only the dotted green large outline shows).

The zoom level is not set by the lens (adapter or native), but by the control wheel when you are in the zoom-level settings menu. Once set, the camera stays in this mode.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow