Just for a change... Pentax ME Super + Ilford XP2!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,131Gear list
Like?
Just for a change... Pentax ME Super + Ilford XP2!
8 months ago

When a friend offered me a couple of rolls of Ilford XP2, it got me thinking... my late uncle's ME Super was languishing in the cupboard, and I already had some FF manual lenses.... so why not put them all together?

The result is this:

Forty year old combo - Pentax ME Super + 50mm f/1.7, with a roll of XP2 inside.

Amazingly the batteries are still working after several years idle in the camera. The lens is the same one I've been using and greatly enjoying on my K-5 II (some digital examples on Flickr here)

I'm already mid way through the first roll. The camera handles beautifully, it's small, thin, and so easy to handle! The screen has a central split image and combined with a huge viewfinder focusing is rather easier than on a digital body. It's a genuinely nostalgic experience as I had my own ME Super many moons ago, although in those days I shot colour transparencies.

The idea is to get the first roll of XP2 processed locally (it uses standard C41 chemistry). Based on the results I will set a base exposure compensation for the second roll.

In the meantime, does anyone have some tips for digitising the negative? My flatbed scanner doesn't have sufficient resolution so I was thinking of simply photographing the negative with a macro lens over a lightbox, then inverting in Photoshop.

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow