A question for techno Gurus & Geeks (EM-1)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,761Gear list
Like?
A question for techno Gurus & Geeks (EM-1)
9 months ago

I've had my EM-1 since October.  When I first got the body I had only a sizeable number of DZ 4:3 lenses.  As is well known, they auto focused well enough on the EM, but were a little sluggish in low light.  I fully understand about the implimentation of the PDAF sensors and that they do not incorporate  vertical sensors.  This causes the camera to have some difficulty focusing on subjects that are primarily horizontal in nature.  Otherwise all is well.

Now I have four native m4:3 lenses and much to my surprise I find the camera still has difficulty focusing on primarily horizontal subjects...at least in subdued light.  Since these are CDAF lenses I would have expected them to immediately lock on to a horizontal subject.  That's not the case, they will "hunt"  and sometimes just give up.  They are a little better in this regard than my DZ 4:3 lenses, but still exhibit the horzontial focusing difficulty.  Otherwise they are lightning quick.  This isn't too pronounced in good light, but is definitely an irritant in low light.

Am I missing something here?  Has anyone else observed this?  It would seem the camera simply doesn't like to have to focus on anything that doesn't have a vertical element in it.

I hope someone can explain this for me.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow