Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,035Gear list
Like?
Re: D800- my experience
In reply to ZinMe, 7 months ago

ZinMe wrote:

PatMann wrote:

15 megapixels for D800 in DX mode vs 24 megapixels for D7100 - that's significantly higher resolution, almost 2x as many pixels on any given spot as the D800. So of course the resolution is better on the D7100 for the same optics.

So why is it again we want a true DX action camera with a modern sensor for sports and wildlife?

-- hide signature --

Pat

Just a guess but I would say frame rate, pro build and probably #1, BUFFER!

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

I've also been evaluating a D7100. Other than the buffer, this camera is working better for me for sports than the D800. With an 80-200 f2.8 AFS and the 300mm VA f2.8, and a 1.4x TC, I'm getting good results. The AF is better on the D7100 in my experience and the pixel density is helpful. The AF is snappy and very sensitive on the D7100, but has to be tamed because it picks up background objects a bit too easily. With AF tracking set to 3, and dynamic selection at 9, it works like a charm. With the color depth set to 12 bit and/ or the use of compressed raw the buffer is acceptable. I'm most likely going to stick with the D7100 for a year and if a D800s is launched and the AF is improved I may add that later, although a 24th D610 for non sports would very well satisfy my other requirements.

I've been considering the D7100 the last week or so. I just mentioned this in another thread. They've been selling used in Toronto for about $750 with only a couple of hundred shots and I can get $600 or so for a D7000 that I only use for business. So for little money, I could try it for BIF and not be out much if I don't like it. Similar thoughts on the 800s. If it has the improved AF I will move my 800e and get that.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow