Battle of zooms: Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED vs Sony FE24-70mm F4 OSS vs Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,622Gear list
Like?
Try these bodies instead...
In reply to shadowhumper, 8 months ago

You have picked too different of bodies to compare those lenses on, no idea why you did that. You should pick D800 at least for Nikon lens, but that will still not be as sharp since it has the AA filter vs no filter on 800E or A7R.

DXO shows okay corners at 24mm, which I don't know of anyone who has experienced this. So either almost all the lenses are faulty in the initial batch leading to soft corners, or maybe they are doing something different with their test?

Neither the real world samples I took nor the test chart mirror what DXO is showing for that lens.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/AF-S-Nikkor-24-70mm-f-2.8G-ED-on-Nikon-D800-versus-Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Vario-Tessar-T-STAR-24-70mm-F4-ZA-OSS-versus-Canon-EF-24-70mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___175_792_1253_0_886_795

Notice Sony is lowest scoring of 3, but not by much. Look at the "Measurements" -> "Distortion" -> "Maximum" tab, that is fun. I don't care about distortion correction, but worth noting on size/weight/cost of the lens.

Also, it is generally okay if an f/2.8 lens is a bit soft at the edges, but for an f/4 lens to not be sharp at the edges and not improve stopping down, this is not okay.  An f/4 lens is not an indoor lens and likely going to be used for landscapes etc.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow