Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Pete Y
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?
Another point of interest
In reply to Pete Y, 8 months ago

Pete Y wrote:

Tone Row wrote:

I wonder if one of the lucky few A6000 owners could help answer a question for me, and that is, what autofocus area modes does face detection work in? The reason I ask is, all things equal I gravitate toward spot focus so that I can focus and recompose my shots. At the same time, I have young kids running around, so it is nice to have face recognition constantly on so that I can quickly fire off some snaps of them. With my A55 this isn't a problem as spot focus with face detection turned on is supported. With my NEX-5R though, the only autofocus area mode that supports face recognition is multi which bugs me to no end.

So, does anyone know if the A6000 supports face detection in all focus area modes?

Focus area set to Center AF (note the icon on the left). If no faces are detected, the camera just uses the centre AF point. (Well, cartoon faces are not faces, you know that already.)

As soon as a face is detected, the camera automatically switches to Face Detection AF. Note the Center AF icon on the left hasn't been changed (below the letters 'AF-A'). Now you can see the FD square.

If you look very carefully at the two pictures at 100% view, the focus plane of picture 2 has already shifted back to the face even before the shutter is half-pressed.  This is because Pre-AF is on.

Pete Y's gear list:Pete Y's gear list
Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow