D800- my experience

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,852Gear list
Like?
Re: D800- my experience
In reply to coronawithlime, 9 months ago

coronawithlime wrote:

Commenting only on the areas where I have personally observed anything noteworthy, I generally need to AF Fine Tune multiple times to avoid leaving something on the table. And in my limited experience shooting soccer, the buffer is not large enough for my use. YMMV. Note that I don't shoot crop however.

It may be that D800e, while it's working out as a great choice for most of the stuff we do ourselves, may not be optimum for your projected use. At 50% sports and general purpose use I suspect I might personally be looking for a good used D3s.

-- hide signature --

I routinely photography TB galloping at between 25 and 40 mph with my D800E. I capture them at dawn workouts and during the day. I use continuous focus (Af-on button only) and either single point AFC or 9 point AFC. I shoot burst of two to three. That's all I need to capture what I am looking for.

Works fine. The only issues I have with focus is when there is a trade that has to be made between ISO and shutter speed - that is dawn workouts - and any out of focus shots has more to do with shutter speed than any other factor. Camera used D800E with a Nikkor 180 mm f2.8 AFD.

At Tampa

At Keeneland

The one thing I don't expect of a still camera is to shoot a low frame rate video so I can chose later. I work by pre-visualizing and pre-framing my shots and only shooting when it makes sense.  I've found that a three to four well planned burst is all I need.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow