Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jon lake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564
Like?
5d3 or 1ds3?
9 months ago

Big birthday coming up. Feel like splashing out. Already own a 1ds2, and just love the ergonomics, the tank like build quality and the files it produces. However, like me, it ain't no spring chicken anymore. The tiny LCD and the weight are annoying, but not huge problems. I have narrowed it down to either a new 5d3 or a lightly used 1dsmk3. I appreciate a new 5d is going to be a little more than a used 1ds3.

I shoot landscapes and portraits no real action stuff. Occasionally low light stuff. ISO on my 1Ds2 is not brilliant, and I dislike going above 800 ISO. I appreciate it is no where near as good as the 5D3. The1ds3 would perhaps be a tad better than my 1ds2 in this respect. I like the way a 1d focuses with speed and accuracy even with the peripheral focus points, and this puts me off getting a 6d. I also have a40d which TBH isn't too hot on peripheral focusing, though newer than my 1ds2

So any ideas? What haven't I considered, and what would your choice be out of these two fine cameras?

Looking forward to your thoughts

Jon

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow