Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gregbartgis
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
E-M1 manual focus problem
6 months ago

I'm posting this before having done other experiments only to get this out in the air. I purchased my E-M1 a little over a week ago from B&H. Yesterday - a week to the day of receiving the thing I took it out to shoot. I keep mine in manual - I don't care for auto focus - and had my 45mm Pana-Leica macro mounted. I tried to focus on a macro object - Lichens - and, as I focussed the EVF would go blank - then the focussed or unfocussed image would reappear. This happened continually. I couldn't focus to get the image. I was carrying an E-M5 with 7-14 mounted and it was set the same and had no problems. I pulled the Oly 60 macro out and mounted it on the E-M1 and had the same problem. I then pulled out my 12mm Oly and swapped it onto the E-M1 and it focussed fine. I didn't think to try it in its AF mode with focus ring slipped forward. I'll try that next. What the two macros have in common is that both were attached to both my E-M5's during firmware updates, along with the 7-14. I don't want to jump off into the deep end yet and send the camera back. I hope it's something I'm doing wrong. I've a couple more experiments to try. Any others anyone else can think of would be a great help. Has anyone else experienced this? Ask me any questions - I'll try to be available, though I'll be busy the next couple of days. I'll call B&H and ask some questions, too. I may as well call their attention to this before the return period is up. Questions and suggestions appreciated. One more item - it works fine in AF mode under the same conditions.

-- hide signature --

The elimination of the mirror has introduced a new concept into the interchangeable lens digital camera market - compactness (kind of like what happened when Oscar Barnack created the Leica).

gregbartgis's gear list:gregbartgis's gear list
Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +38 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow