Lens arsenal

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens arsenal
In reply to CD1, 7 months ago

Two now-classic EF L lenses could do most of what you have mentioned, the 35mm 1.4L, and the 135mm 2.0L. I love mine! For a minimalist kit, for most personal shooting, I could be quite happy with a 40D, and these two lenses, though an ultra-wide would be nice to add to the mix. My favored ultra-wide is a zoom, the EF-S 10-22mm.

The EF 135mm 2.0L is compatible with Canon's EF 1.4x and 2x Extenders, though AF will be a bit slower. One member here on DPR uses an extension tube with this lens to shoot butterflies.

"Macro" is a very broad topic. Much depends upon your subjects. My closest-range shooting (lens to subject distance) is done with an EF-S 10-22mm lens, but that is not really "macro," and I have shot spiders and insects with a Nikon Nikkor 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S manual-focus telefoto lens, with a Nikkor 6T attached to the objective end, and a Novoflex EOS/NIK adapter at the other end. We also have 100mm lenses made by both Tokina and Canon, both of which are really nice performers on my 40D.

(My Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro L, with Image Stabilization, now lives on one of my 7D bodies, as I prefer splash/rain-resistance while at work.)

I can use a 35mm, a 100mm, a 135mm, or an ultra-wide zoom as a "walk-around" lens, depending upon where I am walking. It seems the only zooms I like are ultra-wide; I lust for a Nikkor 14-24mm for my Nikons! I should emphasize that not all folks would agree, preferring mid-range and tele zooms. Please read this post as documenting what I like, not  a recommendation for any other person.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with an EF-S 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L, make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow