Like?
Re: You don't speak for everyone
In reply to Yakuza1970, 5 months ago

Yakuza1970 wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

Yakuza1970 wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

About 1/4 of our teachers sign in at about 6am.

Are they required to be at work a certain number of hours, or just paid by an hour?

Considering you know a teacher, I would have thought you would know that public teachers are paid a salary and have contracted hours. In my case, it's from 8:10 am to 3:25 pm every day for 181 days a year. Unless it's a special committee after school, any hours put in before or after contracted hours are UNpaid. It's virtually impossible to do all the prep, grading, meeting with parents, colleagues, administrators, students, etc. in the contracted time. If teachers were to be paid hourly, they'd bankrupt every school district in the country in no time.

I quit answering him. He just wants to discount what teachers do and has no earthly idea.

Just the whole argument that US schools are doing a bad job doesn't work. The very same teacher who teaches a child who later gets a perfect score on their SAT and ACT also teaches a child who drops out in 6th grade at 18 years old. There are far too many variables in education to put your finger on one part of the teacher-parent-student-administration as being at fault. It's just like blaming the doctor if the patient doesn't follow up on his prescription medication.

-- hide signature --

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. --H.G. Wells

Yeah I hear you. However, I feel it's important to speak up and tell what it's really like to teach. I don't want others on this board or any place else to start believing what he and others like him say as reality. While I love teaching and the passion still burns brightly, it's a tough job made even tougher with people who are not in education that think they know what schools and teaching are all about and believe they have all the classroom experience and educational expertise to "fix" them.

To you as a fellow educator: persevere and good luck with the rest of your school year!

I have had his kind try their hand at education. I work as a teacher assistant and one day this tough guy came to substitute at the alternative school I was working at. Less than one and a half hours into the day, he quit.

-- hide signature --

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. --H.G. Wells

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow