Lens arsenal

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,980Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens arsenal
In reply to CD1, 9 months ago

CD1 wrote:

I need some advice on building up my lens arsenal. The type of stuff I find myself shooting is:

Family events - indoors with that terrible indoor lighting

I think a high powered speedlite that can bounce flash (e.g. 430EX II or better) is much more effective than expensive big aperture lenses.  For family events I find I'm at f/4-5.6 anyway to get more than 1 person in focus.

Outdoor photography - on the lake or in the woods (both up close, long range, and wide angle)

EF-S 15-85 is a terrific all-around zoom, and may save you money if you find 15mm wide enough and can forego a 10-20ish ultra-wide.

Sports photography - kids events (baseball, soccer, gymnastics, swimming)

Usual suspects:  EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM on a strict budget, one of the EF 70-200 Ls if you've got more.

Occasional portraits

Would like to do some occasional macro stuff

What lens combination would most efficiently cover as much of that ground as possible. I don't want to spend $10,000 on lenses, but I know I'm not getting this group of lenses on the cheap either. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I shoot a 40D…in camera terms it's ancient…but it's what I've got. I have the kit lenses and they are OK…but I've rented a lot of lenses and the nice glass puts the kit lenses to such shame that it's hard to look at the pics side-by-side.

What lenses have your rented, did you like them?  EF 70-200 L (2.8, 4, IS or not) can do double/triple duty - sports, portrait, add a TC or extension tubes for macro.   Or EF-S 60 f/2.8 USM Macro or EF 100 f/2.8 Macro (L IS USM or original USM) can do double duty as portrait and macro.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow