EM10 vs Stylus 1 as "perfect" travel camera?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,795Gear list
Like?
EM10 vs Stylus 1 as "perfect" travel camera?
5 months ago

I have always shot with various 4/3 and m4/3 cameras when I traveled (unless it was someplace that I visit a lot and am not going to visit as a "photography trip"). In that case I have always had a more advanced P&S camera - most recently the XZ-1, then the XZ-2 and now the Stylus 1.

When I saw the Stylus 1, my first thoughts were "this is would be the perfect travel camera" - relatively small, great EVF and controls, pretty fast lens (2.8) and decent higher ISO results - at least till through 1600.

But I recently got the EM10 and love it. But my "general, walk around lens" is one of the two 14-42 kit lenses (I have both the IIR and the new EZ Pancake which I am very impressed with). But they are pretty slow - especially at the long end with 5.6.

My "problem" is that the EM10 is probably (at least to my eyes) at least 2 stops better as far as high ISO noise and loss of detail. That partially makes up for the two stops slower lens - albeit a much shorter zoom range.

So I was wondering how many people who have both some form of DSLR/ILC camera AND a more advanced P&S camera have chosen to take only the P&S when traveling? And were you sorry you did?

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow